The Early Days

From the beginning of the twentieth century, generating hydroelectric power was seen as a means to a plentiful supply for industry and the general public. It would ultimately provide the technology to drive this small state forward.  As early as 1910 the first sod of ground was turned.
One scheme, completed in 1947, involved building a canal from the Derwent River just below the Clark Dam (Butlers Gorge) across the Nive River to Tarraleah where a drop of 1000 feet would be utilised to drive the turbines in the Tarraleah Power Station. This largely inaccessible area was a summer cattle run known as California, and later became the village called Tarraleah.